Building Towards a Healthier You
Collagen is known as an anti-aging protein that can help you to stay looking younger for longer. It makes up over 30% of your body's protein, and it can be found naturally in the meat we consume from cows, poultry and fish. More specifically the amino acids that make up the protein from these animals. There are five different types of collagen that our bodies use, and the amount we produce gets lower as we age. By taking collagen supplements, you can help to support your body's production and prevent signs of aging like sagging and wrinkly skin.
Below you will find some of the benefits of taking collagen supplements because of how they support different functions in your body.
1. Improves Skin
Type I collagen is the most abundant type of collagen in your body. It helps to maintain the structure of your body’s skin, bones, ligaments and tendons. Type IV collagen is responsible for maintaining the layers of your skin and keeping it tight and smooth. There has been a lot of recent research showing that collagen peptides can improve the skin through how it protects the skin from sun damage. Too much direct sun can affect the body’s ability to produce collagen, so this is where taking a supplement can be very beneficial.
2. Can Help with Joint Pain
As mentioned above, collagen helps to maintain the ligaments and tendons that support the joints in our bodies. Type II collagen is also responsible for maintaining the cartilage that supports our joints, and if there isn’t enough of it then the cartilage can deteriorate. This can lead to joint pain and poor joint health. As a way to prevent this from happening, you can take collagen supplements to support the production of this cartilage by collagen peptides.
3. Helps Build Muscle Mass
The collagen that is found in your muscles is type III collagen. One of the collagen benefits is that it can help to build muscle mass in your body. A healthy muscle mass can help support your day-to-day life and keep you mobile longer. In fact, this 2015 study published in the British Journal of Nutrition found that “collagen peptides further increased the benefits of the 3-month resistance training in older subjects with sarcopenia.”
4. Improves Bone Density
As I said above, type I collagen is found in your bones, and if you make sure you use supplements or get enough in your diet, you can improve your bone density. As we age, bone density becomes a growing concern because it decreases, which can lead to conditions like osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, fractures and hospitalization. However, a 2020 review on collagen supplementation concluded that “Collagen hydrolysate has a positive therapeutic role in osteoporosis and osteoarthritis: potentially increasing bone mineral density, having a protective effect on articular cartilage and, primarily, providing symptomatic relief of pain.”
5. Other Benefits
Though there are many claims that an increase in collagen can help with weight loss, gut health and even brain health, there is no scientific evidence to support these claims.
The Best Collagen Supplements
Before I give recommendations on the best supplements, I would like to note that collagen cannot be absorbed by the body without certain vitamins. The most important is vitamin C. However, vitamin C cannot be properly absorbed without zinc. It is essential that you either ensure your collagen supplement includes both these vitamins or take them separately so your body properly absorbs the collagen.
- Nature Made Collagen Gummies: These gummies are easy to take, taste good, are pharmacist recommended and are affordable. They are a great alternative to taking pills or powders.
- Organika Collagen Powders: Organika has a variety of different collagen supplements in powder form, and each one has a different purpose. You can choose the collagen powder that best suits your needs, and it can be mixed in with a drink or even added as a base to soups.
- Vital Proteins Collagen Powder: This collagen protein is great for anyone of any age. You don’t have to be older to take collagen as it can benefit people across all walks of life. This collagen powder is also Whole30-approved making it a great option for anyone practicing clean eating.
- Ancient Nutrition Multi Collagen Protein: Ancient Nutrition offers one of the collagen supplements with the biggest variety of types of collagen in one product and a great amino acid profile. If you’re looking for a one-stop collagen shop, this powdered product is for you.
- COLLAGEN SUPPLEMENTATION: THERAPY FOR THE PREVENTION AND TREATMENT OF OSTEOPOROSIS AND OSTEOARTHRITIS: A REVIEW
- Collagen peptide supplementation in combination with resistance training improves body composition and increases muscle strength in elderly sarcopenic men: a randomised controlled trial
- Recent progress in preventive effect of collagen peptides on photoaging skin and action mechanism